By Gerald D. Feldman
Gerald Feldman's heritage of the across the world widespread assurance company Allianz AG within the Nazi period is predicated mostly on new or formerly unavailable archival resources, making this a extra exact account of Allianz and the lads who directed its company than was once ever earlier than attainable. Feldman takes the reader via diverse circumstances of collaboration and clash with the Nazi regime with equity and a dedication to educated research, referring to problems with damages within the Pogrom of 1938, insuring amenities utilized in pressured hard work camps, and the issues of denazification and restitution. the wider matters tested during this study--when cooperation with Nazi regulations was once obligatory and whilst it was once complicit, the best way revenue, ideology, and opportunism performed a job in company determination making, and the query of the way Jewish coverage resources have been expropriated--are fairly suitable this present day given the continuing overseas debate approximately restitution for Holocaust survivors. This publication joins a starting to be physique of scholarship in response to open entry to the files of German businesses within the Nazi period. Gerald D. Feldman is Professor of heritage on the college of California at Berkeley. His ebook, the nice illness (Oxford, 1993) obtained the DAAD publication Prize of the German ancient organization and the booklet Prize for vital eu heritage from the yankee historic organization. He was once an invited specialist on the London Gold convention in December 1997 and on the U.S. convention on Holocaust resources in Washington, D.C. in December 1998 and served as an consultant to the Presidential Commision on Holocaust resources within the usa.
Read or Download Allianz and the German Insurance Business, 1933-1945 PDF
Best insurance books
This consultant presents enterprise profiles, hiring, and office tradition details on greater than 30 best employers, together with Aetna, Allstate, Cigna, national and extra.
Coding surgeries: past the fundamentals allows you to increase the required coding abilities required past the fundamental point. Surgical coding is the main tricky part of strategy coding. each one bankruptcy makes a speciality of the medical point of surgeries and its software to approach coding.
On the flip of the century, the North Carolina Mutual lifestyles coverage corporation grew to become the "world's biggest Negro enterprise. " positioned in Durham, North Carolina, which was once referred to as the "Black Wall highway of America," this company got here to represent the tips of racial development, self-help, and harmony in the USA.
- The Criminal Justice System and Health Care
- Insurance in the General Agreement on Trade in Services (AEI Studies on Services Trade Negotiations)
- Dictionary of Insurance Terms
- Managing the Insolvency Risk of Insurance Companies: Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Insurance Solvency
- Predictive Modeling Applications in Actuarial Science: Volume 1, Predictive Modeling Techniques
Additional info for Allianz and the German Insurance Business, 1933-1945
Once the scandal had broken, it very soon became manifest that the Favag gold mark opening balance was 5 million gold marks in excess of what it should have been, thanks to Dumcke’s desire to increase the company’s prestige and attractiveness to investors. ). Artur Lauinger, Das öffentliche Gewissen. , 1958), pp. 18–22. Lauinger’s account telescopes some of the events between late 1928 and August 1929; he leaves the impression that his interviews with Dumcke and Becker and the supervisory board meeting took place within a short space of time, which could not have been possible because Dumcke died in February.
These “Valuta debts,” as they were called, were a source of much bad blood between the Swiss and the Germans during and after the inflation, but Allianz was relatively untouched by the problem; indeed, even at some cost to itself, Allianz cultivated its good relations with Schweizerische National-Versicherungs-Gesellschaft in Basel, in which both Munich Re and Allianz held substantial shares. In 1920, Allianz took over the Schweizer National’s German engagements while the latter took over Allianz’s Swiss engagements.
298. Hensel’s is a very sober history, so that this report of Schmitt’s long-term ambitions deserves credence. Vaterländische also collapsed in 1929, but Hensel points out that Allianz was too preoccupied with Favag to take over yet another company. It was acquired by Nordstern. Aktennotiz Schmitt, 26. Nov. 1929, BAB, 80 Ba 2 /P 5785. 20 Allianz and the German Insurance Business, 1933–1945 been shown discount bills with Dumcke’s signature that he deemed very dubious. For Lauinger, however, the more important question was whether an insurance company had any business discounting bills of the type shown to him and engaging in banking business of this kind.
Allianz and the German Insurance Business, 1933-1945 by Gerald D. Feldman